Email

Contact me at: mpgraphics@hotmail.com

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Rochester Postcard Project Day 7


On my walk about town I was interested to see the statue of Mercury on top of this smoke stack.  Over time I learned that way back in 1971 it was put back on the spot it had once stood.  Till 1951 it stood on top of the stack for a tobacco factory that was then demolished.  Someone had the foresight to save the statue in storage all that time and when they built the law offices that stand there today they rebuilt a fake smoke stack to put the statue back up. 

From this angle, seeing the old and the new together was a symbol of this city to me.  People here have always gone out of their way to preserve the history of this place even though there is progress.  And that makes me proud of this city

No comments:

Post a Comment